GMMA October 2016 Monthly Newsletter
As I have recently been traveling to many campuses, I was amazed beyond words as I witnessed how God works beautifully through people. It is clear that He has prepared and appointed GMMA to serve in so many different capacities.
At the same time, I have also seen the strength of secularism on these campuses, that has the potential to cause spiritual dryness or a religious breakdown, which can eventually rob one of their faith. This convicted me to pray more intentionally for these campuses as they are entrenched in unbelief.
Certain studies have shown that students who spend time in the Word and prayer, engage in healthy Christian fellowship, and participate in meaningful activities can better surpass the pressures of secularism and lead a vibrant life in faith. I am so thankful that GMMA encompasses all of these aspects! For our continuous growth, it is vital that our prayers do not stop. It is critical that these students, professionals, and this ministry are covered by prayers for God’s provision and protection. Prayer provides hope and direction. Prayer helps us to discern whether we are following His path. Prayer allows us to defeat challenges.
Calling for 70 unwavering intercessors to join us in prayer!
At this time, I would like to invite seventy intercessors to pray with me for GMMA, everyday with unwavering commitment, until June of 2017. Please join me in this movement. Let me know who you are by sending us an e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Jesus prayed and instructed us to pray as well. If we obey, we will see His promises actualize.
“Again I say to you, if two of you agree on earth about anything they ask, it will be done for them by my Father in heaven.” (Matthew 18:19)
In His Service,
Peter Chung M.D
- Please pray for the members serving in leadership positions to be encouraged and empowered by His strength. All members work in their respective professions and face limitations with time and strength. Let us pray to stay faithful and focused.
- Pray for the student chapter expansion to be blessed with gifts of clear order and thanksgiving. More campuses are joining and each requires significant attention and assistance. Pray for our national student chapter coordinators, Jessica and Elly, for wisdom as they have to address many questions and guide the campuses to stay united in the mission of GMMA.
- Pray for the success of our upcoming events, that they would enable the attendees to bond closer with Christ and with each other. Pray for the volunteer coordinators to experience His guidance and blessing as they serve.
- Pray for comfort and healing of many members who are going through health challenges. May the God who hears our prayers also comfort the family members taking care of the sick.
- Pray that the Lord would mobilize professionals, with a desire to encourage and lead students, to become GMMA mentors.
- Pray for all the students who are studying for various degrees and exams. That they would study diligently for His glory and resist the temptation of procrastination.
- Pray for the mission trips in October, November, and December 2016 to be safe, Spirit filled, and fruitful. May the trips be prepared well in unity. May the team serve each other and serve the mission sites with the love of Christ.
Many board members serve as speakers at various medical mission conferences at a global level. There are too many to list in the limited space of this e-newsletter! Dr. Chung and other professionals continue to travel to different campuses to encourage and support the student chapters.
The students are working diligently to serve each other and grow together as a GMMA community. All chapters held their first meeting as of September. Browse through pictures of the kickoff events here. Go students! Read below for the latest updates from our student chapters. A big “thank you” goes out to all of our student leaders for their hard work!
Check us out on Instagram to follow our weekly events and meetings.
West Coast Region (CA + Seattle)
- Biola University finally received official status.
- UC Riverside had its first kickstart with Dr. Ahn and other GMMA staff.
- USC and UC Berkeley are currently training for the October 22nd mission trip.
- Dr. Paul Jo, who attended the August Honduras mission trip, visited UC Berkeley from Florida.
- University of Washington in Seattle had its first ever meeting with about 35 people attending. With support from great mentors such as Dr. Mia Lee, John Joo and Dan Hwang, they have launched their chapter with a great start.
- UCSD will be checking out a new mission site through an organization called Mexican Medical Missions (MMM) on November 12th. UCLA & UCI will be attending one-day mission trips on the same day with Siloe Ministry.
- Dr. Raymond Choi from California visited UT Austin and the students had a wonderful time learning about Dentistry and the mission field from the eyes of a Christian dentist.
- Next weekend, students from UT Austin will be driving down to San Antonio where Dr. Uejin Kim and her husband will host them and give them a tour of UT San Antonio medical school.
- Texas mission dates are set for January 6-9th. More details will be discussed with Dr. Yong-sik Kim and the missionary who will be visiting the US in a few weeks.
- Dr. Chung will be visiting Texas A&M and UT Austin in November.
- Northwestern had a great start and had a time of sharing about the June Mission trip to Mexico.
- University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign joined GMMA. They are currently planning a trip to GMHC.
- Students at Purdue University are trying to start a student chapter.
- We are trying our best to organize a mission trip to Mexico with the Midwest Region. Please let us know of any healthcare professionals who would be willing to join us on December 17-21st for this trip.
- University of Florida is doing well. They had a fundraiser and raised about $600. They are printing out laptop stickers with the GMMA logo as an ongoing fundraiser.
- Students at the University of South Florida received approval from their school and will be holding their first meeting soon. We are currently looking for speakers!
- University of Central Florida is in the process of being approved by its school.
- Georgia Tech chapter has a solid group of members. They are currently searching for mentors for their campus. Let us combine our resources to help them in their efforts.
- There are three student chapters in Toronto: Western University, McMaster University and University of Toronto/Ryerson University joint chapters.
- They are all in the process of being approved by their schools.
There are students interested in starting GMMA student chapters at:
UPenn/Drexel, Johns Hopkins, UVA and multiple universities in Sydney Australia and New Zealand.
If you know any healthcare professionals who would gladly serve as mentors for these chapters, please email us at email@example.com.
Upcoming Events & Announcements
GMMA board members will serve as plenary and workshop speakers at the Oceanic Medical Missions Association (OMMA) conference held in Sydney, Australia in October.
We are in need of faithful mentors and speakers for different student chapters. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for further details.
Student chapters will be fundraising all over the nation. The latest details will be posted on Facebook Like us on Facebook. Please support the fundraisers!
Multiple mission trips are coming up in October, November, and December 2016. Stay tuned for the latest updates.
Check our student chapter calendar for all of the student chapter meeting dates and locations.
God has sent wonderful gifts to GMMA. Please welcome Paul Park, who graciously accepted the position as the GMMA Manager of the Missions Department. He will be leading the missions department with Dr. David Choi who serves as the Missions Director. You can contact him at email@example.com.
Also, please welcome Esther Park, who has graciously accepted the position as another administrator for GMMA. You can contact her at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Joy Park will be serving as our newsletter editor. If any member would like to contribute to the monthly newsletter, please contact her by the first week of each month for consideration. You may reach her at email@example.com.
Until next time,
Please share about KAMHC & GMMA and let us all remember to Arise and Shine for His glory.